Thursday, September 22, 2011

New Job

Last week I found out that I got a new job. I am very excited about it as it's something I have been wanting to do for a long time, but I can't help but stress about the time commitment. It's a full time job and being a full time student this worries me, but it was a necessary thing to do. Unfortuantely this isn't just my reality, but I am noticing this is the reality of many of my fellow classmates. Increasingly I am noticing more and more students are juggling full time work and being a full time student, which doesn't allow for much time to breathe. It becomes very difficult because I feel that I can't give 100% of myself to school or work when I am constantly thinking about the things I have to do at each one seperately. Another discouraging factor is that I am not sure how much better of a job I will be able to get once I have actually graduated. My career goals have always been to go into social justice work, similiar to what I am doing in an internship that involved hate crime prevention, but the reality is those jobs are hard to find. I am seeing less and less funding going to organizations that do this type of work. I have been interning there for two years and there is little hope to ever get paid for the work I do. I do the work becasue it is what I am passionate about and it is unfortunate that this type of work is not as highly valued. The government wants to cut the funding even more, deeming the office as unnecessary, but the reality is the type of work they do is critical to this County. I just wish more people could see it that way.

Vocab Words:
Ruction: A noisy fight
Rapine: The act of plundering

No comments:

Post a Comment